Monday, September 5, 2011

This is just so wrong to me.

So I'm out shopping the other day, and this is what I see. At Michael's. Now y'all, this upsets me. Firstly, because selling crochet, at these prices totally demeans my work as a craftswoman, and an artist. (I hear you laughing, and cut it out............. LOL) Beyond that, I have this mental picture of some lady, or some girl, in some underdeveloped country, being exploited, doing all this crochet for a pittance, and starving while she's doing it.

I know, if you scroll down, you look at some of the smaller pieces, that's not really crochet. I honestly don't know how I feel about that, because it says 'crocheted applique' on the packaging. So that's false advertising, but ............. you know, what do you do........ but some of them, they are really crochet. For $6.99. $7.99. $1.99! Seriously, how can someone not be being exploited. To sell even an hour or so's work for that little bit of money, and if it's at a big box like Michael's, with that kind of packaging, that kind of bulk, for that kind of price..............





Now, maybe I'm just displaying my ignorance here, and if I am, feel free to correct me, I can take it. But it seems wrong to me. I hate to see real crochet sold cheap. It just reeks to me, creates those ugly pictures.



Call me crazy. I just don't get how this can be right....................

6 comments:

Sandy said...

They are probably made in China too!

Pammy Sue said...

I totally agree! I thought the same thing when I saw some hats at Walmart the other day.

Erika said...

Totally agree with you. I think a Crafts store should sell product to make things with, not already finished products that takes away from the crafter. Sad that we can't do much about it.

Mindy said...

It's so terrible to see that kind of stuff.

The Bookworm said...

*ugh* I hate seeing crochet sold like this. It takes away the uniqueness and the real worth of a handmade piece.

Juliejaz said...

I saw similar things in Walmart and I thought, 'great, now people will think my work is work 5.99.' I picked up a hat and an could immediately tell how cheap the product was and nothing I make is that cheap and chintzy feeling...I felt better after that. The old saying of you get what you pay for came to mind. Take heart ladies, the stuff we spend our time creating isn't the same cheap, flimsy crap from the big box stores.