Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas and Family

Christmas always makes me think of family. Every year, I wish I could go back and see my family, but something always gets in the way, usually work, finances, or both.

I grew up poor, but my parents loved Christmas. Mom and Dad both were big kids when it came to Christmas, and I tend to romanticize that, I'm sure. I remember wonderful Christmases, and lots of new toys. I'm sure they were cheap, Mom and Dad didn't have much money and there were eight of us to buy for, but we didn't care, they were new toys. Christmas was different back then, smaller things made a bigger difference. Now we live in a world of plenty, and kids are more spoiled. I'll talk about that in another blog, I'm sure. I remember when taking a candy cane off the tree to eat was a treat.

December 23 always makes me think of Dad. He used to say 'It's the Eve of Christmas Eve.' I used to love that. To this day, I say that. It seems to really make Christmas Day that much closer. It means as much to me as Christmas Eve. It stretches Christmas out more. Isn't that fun?

Ah, I'm rambling. Merry Christmas, y'all!

4 comments:

Marie Anne said...

Ramble away! Nostalgia can be comforting. I'm glad you have fond Christmas memories, and hope you make many more.

Merry Christmas!

hooksandyarns said...

Have a Merry Christmas! :)

Designing Lady Jane said...

I don't know why I haven't seen this post before. Okay, I guess I know why, the last couple of days before Christmas I didn't spend my time reading my blog list.

Have been there, and I do mean there, I always have such great memories of Christmas as well. The toys may have been cheap, but mom and dad made sure we had several, even if there were coloring books and crayons. And the stockings were stuffed with ribbon candy and nuts and fruit, such a treat! Sounds more like Victorian times than the 70s, doesn't it? Simple times, simple people, simple pleasures.

Designing Lady Jane said...

In the previous post, I meant to say I didn't spend 'much' time, instead of 'my' time. Gives a different feeling to the sentence.